- Responsible for accounting and financial management of the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd), the national professional association of editors
- Part-time, 0.2 – 0.3 FTE initially, with competitive remuneration
- Applications close 5 pm EST 1 March 2017
IPEd is the national association of professional editors, currently with six state branches. About 1500 members work either in-house for publishers and other organisations, or as freelance editors across many sectors. IPEd is a company limited by guarantee.
IPEd and its branches promote the members and the profession and provide memberships services, including professional development, standards for editorial practice, accreditation exams, social meetings, newsletters and national conferences.
About the role
Reporting directly to the Executive Officer (CEO), the Finance Officer (FO) will be responsible for IPEd accounting, banking, payroll and BAS returns. IPEd uses the web-based accounting system Xero. The membership system, MEMNET, linked to a payment gateway for online payments, provides income and accounts receivable ledger exports to the accounting system.
The FO, with other national staff (the CEO, Secretary, Communication Officer and Membership Officer), will work remotely, communicating using web-based tools.
Duties and responsibilities
Skills and experience
- Advise and assist branch officers, Council and staff in the preparation of budgets
- Coordinate the approval and processing of transactions according to policy
- Raise subscription renewals and other billings and record offline payments received
- Manage IPEd’s online banking system and payment gateway
- Process payroll, superannuation, BAS returns and tax returns, and liaise with auditors
- Prepare regular financial reports for branches and the EO
Culture and benefits
- Demonstrated capacity and experience in the complete accounting cycle, using accounting software such as MYOB or Xero
- Highly developed skills in using the Microsoft Office suite of programs
- The ability to work in a systematic way with a minimum of direction
- Excellent interpersonal, spoken and written communication skills
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team
IPEd is entering an exciting new phase in serving and representing its members, and this position offers you the opportunity to play a key role in the development of its services, membership and image.
TO APPLY, please obtain the position description
which includes selection criteria, instructions and contact details.