- Guide the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd), the national professional association of editors
- Work remotely, with other national staff also working remotely
- Part-time, 0.3 FTE initially, with competitive remuneration
- Applications close 5 pm EST Monday 6 February 2017
IPEd is the national association of professional editors, currently with six state branches. About 1500 members work either in-house for publishers and other organisations, or as freelance editors across many sectors. IPEd is a company limited by guarantee.
IPEd and its branches promote the members and the profession and provide membership services, including professional development, standards for editorial practice, accreditation exams, social meetings, newsletters and national conferences.
About the role
Accountable to the IPEd CEO and Council, the Company Secretary will work with Council to carry out its statutory duties in accordance with current governance practice under the federal Corporations Act, the IPEd Constitution and ASIC regulations.
The IPEd Secretary also reports directly to the CEO, assisting with corporate administration in executing the organisation’s operational plans to advance the interests of professional editors.
The Secretary will work with other national staff (the CEO, Communication Officer, Membership Officer and Finance Officer), who all work remotely, communicating using web-based tools. The incumbent will travel to national editors conferences (usually biennially), and to IPEd general meetings as necessary.
Duties and responsibilities
- Work with Council to assist it to fulfil its statutory obligations, providing advice to Council, committees and national staff on regulatory matters
- Oversee the development and maintenance of IPEd policies and committee charters
- Arrange all aspects of Council, standing committee and IPEd general meetings
- Oversee the maintenance and integrity of records of all correspondence and documents relating to IPEd operations
- Work with the CEO, Membership Officer, Communication Officer and Finance Officer in relation to member services and communication
Skills and experience
- Demonstrated capacity and experience in:
- preparing agenda and materials for meetings and taking detailed minutes with associated action sheets
- working effectively with a board of directors
- writing concise reports
- managing receipt of monies and arranging banking
- managing the administration of a national organisation almost entirely by email and teleconference
- Excellent interpersonal, spoken and written communication skills
Culture and benefits
IPEd is in an exciting new phase in serving and representing editors nationally, and this role offers you the opportunity to guide the association in the development of its services, membership and image.
TO APPLY, please obtain the position description, which includes selection criteria, instructions on how to apply and contact details.
Further information about IPEd and the position description are also available from the IPEd website www.iped-editors.org.
Enquiries to the IPEd Secretary, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.