Employment Type: permanent, part-time
Location: remote, work-from-home
Hours of Work: 11.4 per week/0.3
Salary: $20, 548 per annum (plus superannuation and internet/phone allowance)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
The Institute of Professional Editors, a company limited by guarantee, is the national association representing Australian professional editors. It has recently restructured from a former peak body for seven state and territory societies of editors, six of which are now branches in the new structure. The governance and management structure includes IPEd Council (the board of directors, which is elected by the branches), standing committees (including the Accreditation Board), branch executive committees and national staff.
IPEd currently has about 1330 members, some of whom work in-house for publishers and other organisations, while others work as freelance editors across many sectors, including publishing of various types, tertiary education, government and business. IPEd and its branches provide membership services, including professional development workshops, standards for editorial practice, accreditation exams, member information, newsletters and national conferences.
The Institute of Professional Editors Limited (‘IPEd’) Communications Officer is responsible for managing IPED’s internal communication and external communications. The Communications Officer reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and works closely with the Marketing Consultant, Membership and Corporate Services Officers to develop and implement IPEd’s national communications and marketing strategy.
IPEd has a virtual national office and does not have a physical office location. The role requires a reliable internet connection and the ability to attend bi-monthly staff meetings (at a mutually convenient time) and some other meetings via teleconference.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date media contact list for both general and specialist media
- Alert the CEO to opportunities for media coverage or comment
- Review, develop and implement a new sponsorship program, working with the CEO and CSO
- Provide input to, review and implement new communications and marketing strategy
- Manage and maintain IPEd website, including database, access, and liaison with site developers
- Prepare and upload content for the website, including news items and specialist articles, and update existing content as required (checking at least monthly), with approval from the CEO and/or Communication Committee as agreed and appropriate
- Prepare and send Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter posts (at least weekly)
- Produce IPEd Notes every two months, and any other special communications with approval from IPEd CEO for dissemination to branch presidents, members and post to website
- Prepare and disseminate media releases to general and specialist media, as directed by and with approval from the CEO and/or Communication Committee as agreed and appropriate, and field media enquiries
- Prepare a report for each Council meeting, and liaise regularly with the Communication Committee
- Assist in the promotion of IPEd national conferences as directed by the CEO, or on any other matters as required
- Provide support to branches such as distribution of newsletters and job opportunities
- Brief, supervise and oversee external providers such as graphic or web designers
- Undertake any other associated tasks as needed
1. Excellent communication skills, with the ability (orally and in writing) to express yourself in a clear and engaging way to a wide range of stakeholders
2. Experience in managing communications tailored to a variety of national audiences in a timely manner
3. Demonstrated success in planning, managing and implementing communications, media and marketing strategies towards specific deliverables
4. Extensive experience in site authoring and maintenance
5. Excellent information technology skills and demonstrated ability to use social media for effective communications
6. Knowledge of IPEd (its background, operations and priorities) or the ability to rapidly acquire this knowledge
7. Demonstrated experience and qualifications relevant to a communication role
8. Existing contacts in the media and publishing industry or the ability to quickly acquire useful contacts
9. A flexible and agile work style with excellent time management and interpersonal skills
1. High-level editing skills
2. Training or experience in public relations
3. Previous experience with GSuite or ability to quickly acquire this knowledge.
4. Previous experience working in a virtual office
Applications are invited by the Institute of Professional Editors Ltd for the position of Communications Officer. IPEd requires a skilled communication professional who is enthusiastic about promoting the profession of editing and IPEd’s membership to a diverse audience (nationally and internationally).
- a cover letter (one page)
- a written response to the selection criteria (no more than two pages)
- a resume that contains the contact details of two referees who have supervised you within the past two years (no more than four pages)
- use Application, Communications Officer in your subject line
If the application instructions are not followed, the application will not be processed.
Please send your documents by email to:
Tay Winchester - Corporate Services Officer, email@example.com
Closing date:- 25/10/2017 (interviews will be scheduled within the week following this date and will be conducted by Skype or teleconference).