AuSAE Member Update from CEO, Toni Brearley
I trust you have kept safe, well and in good spirits over the past week. I have to admit I have been overwhelmed (in a good way) with the true “connectedness” of the AuSAE community through the many phone calls and video meetings I have had with the AuSAE team, members, staff and our valued network of partners and stakeholders. I am privileged to work among such a kind and caring community who are working day and in many cases well into to the night to support their members and their livelihoods through these extraordinary times.
In light of the Prime Minister’s third economic support package announcement yesterday, we have outlined below what this means for you and your members.
COVID-19 JobKeeper Payment
Yesterday the Australian Federal Government delivered a historic wage subsidy to the value of $130 billion, impacting around 6 million workers. The payment will ensure eligible employers (including not-for-profits) and employees stay connected while some businesses move into hibernation.
- This subsidy will see workers receive a flat payment of $1,500 per fortnight through their employer, before tax.
- The payment will be paid to employers, for up to six months, for each eligible employee that was on their books on 1 March 2020 and is retained or continues to be engaged by that employer.
- Where a business has stood down employees since 1 March, the payment will help them maintain connection with their employees.
- Eligible employers will be those with annual turnover of less than $1 billion who self-assess that have a reduction in revenue of 30% or more, since 1 March 2020 over a minimum one-month period.
- Eligible employers include businesses structured through companies, partnerships, trusts and sole traders. Not for profit entities, including charities, will also be eligible.
- The program will commence today, 30 March 2020, with the first payments to be received by eligible businesses in the first week of May as monthly arrears from the ATO.
- To register your interest visit the ATO website here: https://www.ato.gov.au/general/gen/JobKeeper-payment/
To read more about yesterday’s announcement please click here: https://www.pm.gov.au/media/130-billion-jobkeeper-payment-keep-australians-job
Comprehensive fact sheets from Treasury can be found here: https://treasury.gov.au/coronavirus/jobkeeper
We hope the recent announcements and support packages over the last week have been able to provide you and your members with some certainty and parameters for decision making whilst we navigate these unchartered waters.
AuSAE have curated a collection of resources including the latest government announcements on our website which can be found here www.ausae.org.au/coronavirus
Please don’t forget that we are here for you, we understand first hand how this is affecting your organisation and your members and we will continue to provide you - our members with the information, resources and support you need to do your jobs and move your associations forward.
AuSAE Support Services
AuSAE Members Virtual Coffee Catch Up – 3 April
We are continuing our weekly member virtual coffee catch ups to provide a platform for our members to connect, share and ask questions of each other in an informal virtual environment as we navigate our changing landscape.
In this week’s member virtual coffee catch up, we will be joined by AuSAE’s Alliance Partner, Wes O'Donnell, National Workplace Relations & Advisory Manager, FCB Group who will provide support and guidance on workplace relations topics and questions that you might be facing in these uncertain times. If you have any specific questions you would like answered please email me directly and I will send this onto FCB to answer during the discussion. To register for this week’s catch up please click here.
Webinar Event, Protecting your Organisation during COVID-19 – 8 April
Join AuSAE online for our webinar event with Vera Visevic, Partner, Mills Oakley Lawyers. Vera will discuss:
- Covid-19 as a force majeure;
- The duties of directors:
- Particular focus on the duty to not trade while insolvent;
- The importance of longer-term strategy;
- Issues relating to holding conferences and AGMs during government restrictions;
- Government incentives and how your organisation can access them; and
- Other issues your organisation should consider, including employment and contract law.
To register for this webinar please click here. All AuSAE webinars and complimentary for members.
As always please email or call me on the details below if we can be of any assistance or just an ear to listen.
Take care and stay safe
Chief Executive Officer
Australasian Society of Association Executives
M +61 458 000 155 E firstname.lastname@example.org W www.ausae.org.au